Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

In the poem Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost, it is depicted as a sonnet.

As I read the poem, the rhyme scheme caught my eye. In stanza one, the author states “I think I know”, “though”. By using those two monosyllables, he makes it easy for the reader to understand the rhyme scheme. Using monosyllables, the easiest rhyming pattern helps the author to have a sense of ending. In the second stanza, the author uses “queer” and “near” to rhyme and “lake” and “year”. As the rhyme scheme goes on, I think in this stanza the horse seems curious about why the snow is piling up on the wood. Even though the word snow in the previous stanza automatically makes a reader think its winter, “the darkest evening of the year” makes me think of a cold, shadowy night in the middle of nowhere. I assume nowhere because Frost states “without a farmhouse near”. That line formulates a sense of emptiness in the village they are nearby. The rhyme scheme continues with “shake” and “mistake” and “sweep” and “flake”. With “shake” and “mistake”, Frost takes a step out of the monosyllable rhyming pattern. I believe he wants the readers to get a different effect out of those two words since mistake is not a monosyllable and they mean two different things. In the last stanza, the rhyming scheme continues but visualization comes to mind when Frost states “the woods are lovely, dark, and deep”. From that sentence I see an image of the woods being lovely, dark and deep because the trees and leaves in the woods are covered with snow but at the same time one can see the snow in the darkness of the woods. When Frost states, “But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep”, he clearly is not done treading through the thick snow to arrive at his designed destination. This also makes me feel that he is dedicated because traveling through snow in the dark woods for a long period of time may not be effortless.

No comments:

Post a Comment